How can we build better software for you?

Custom Role Permissions by User

It would be great if we could control individual admin access per person. For example I would like my coaches to be able to sign up a new member but not be able to see the financials.

100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
crossfitbranson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sarah Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like this has been a problem for a long time. We are new to Wodify and are really struggling with not having the ability to tweak role permissions!

• Andrew Essig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll vote for this, since it seems to be getting some traction. My biggest issue is that we have front desk staff that need admin access in order to apply membership discounts or create/edit products, but then they have full access to payroll and other financials, which is ridiculous!

A fully customizable permissions system would do the job, but I'd be happy with just one or two more roles to choose from.

• Pascal Bollmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like to have indivualized my coaches rights & permissions. As we have many part-time Coaches, they do not have to see how many members we have etc.
    They do need just a part of their rights to do a great coaching job.
    I like to set a mark (yes/no) to each part and give them the rights they need at the actual moment. Hopefully, there will be job enrichement and the rights will change....but as an owner I like to set this.

• train commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When marking someone as a coach, it'd be nice be able to select the program that the coach will be coaching. For instance, we're training a volleyball team. I'd like to designate their coach as a coach in our system only for the volleyball program so she can see the programming ahead of time. But I don't want her to see the programming/have the same permissions as my CrossFit coaches. Thanks!

• Jill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would really appreciate custom roles. We do not want our coaches having the same access as the admins. We would like to be able to pick what our coaches can have access to.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The coach permissions need to be addressed.

A gym is a business and not special in it's need for sensitivity when it comes to customer information, payroll and other items essential to run the business. I cannot think of any other business where such sensitive information is so widely accessible to employees. In this day and age, we need to protect information at all costs. (As a side note - I feel strange asking new athletes to sign waivers at the kiosk - where everyone in the gym can see their personal info, too).

Coaches should be able to write WODs, have access to waiver information and not too much more. Admins/managers can access everything else.

Privacy is very important and I would hope that safeguards are in the works since this has been an issue for over a year.

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Managers and others should not have the ability to see how much coaches and staff members are paid. The only person who should see the rates in the Admin.

• Kaylen Larsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While you're tinkering with your formatting, you could (at the very least) make it so that there's an option to give Coaches manager access minus payroll. It seems like that's one of the simplest solutions that would please 50% of the crowd.

• Chanel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why coaches cannot email, makes notes or log activity. Can they do it with a lead? How do we as admins see what the coach can see?

Why can't it just be a list with check boxes for what we want and don't want the role to do?

• Adam D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the idea of as much granularity as can be in the roles as a VERY high priority. I can trust my coaches with the vast majority of the Manager role permissions if I need to, but the access to all payroll makes no sense. Can you change so that when you make someone a manager they only get access to the people they manage as a work around at least for this area which seems to be a significant concern for many of us.

• jonathon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom roles is a must. Every box is different with how they run their staff, and should have the ability to adjust permissions that will enable them to continue to run their box effectively. A "Front Desk" staff member at my box probably does not have the same duties as a box down the road.

• Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope this is in the next update. My coaches HAVE to have the ability to set up and sell memberships.

• Ameet Shah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone. Totally get why you want control of the security in Wodify. Also understand why you want to create custom roles. We're very familiar with this methodology in our experience implementing Tier 1 ERP and CRM systems. Internally, we use Salesforce.com as our CRM system (Sean is our resident expert) and we LOVE the configuration capabilities including custom security.

That said, most (not all and certainly not those of you in support of this idea) will ever change the security model in Wodify. We have consciously decided (this was a hard decision...we're geeks; we love switches and parameters) to hold off on custom security.

The roadmap ahead of us is game changing. I think you will LOVE what we do for Wodify over the next 6 to 9 months. For that reason, we have to wait (not rule out) on custom security. And in the meantime, Sean will do the best that he can to fix our hardcoded roles so that they make the most sense.

Hang in there with us - appreciate your patience. We want to say Yes to everything - it pains us to say no. Thanks for understanding.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sean, this coach's role fix will work perfectly for us. I cannot speak for anyone else but these tiles fit perfectly into what we expect our coaches to be able to do on their own, without giving them too much access to the backend and financials. Thank you for working towards this solution

Personally, I'd prefer to allow coaches to deactivate members and customize memberships, or simply block managers from the payroll tab, or at least a portion of that tab (specifically the amount I'm paying all my coaches).

I don't even need custom individual access. I just need to give ability to sell memberships and deactivate members to coaches. It seems that only managers have the ability to change memberships and that gives them FULL access to payroll!

I don't really want my coaches having the ability to read our entire payroll system.

• Jayson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sean, thanks for revisiting this. If Wodify does foresee creating custom right assignment or custom role creation, this example will answer your question from yesterday and explain why a one-size-fits-all role assignment has it's limits. Using your link about roles, look at the Retail Options. For a coach, they are allowed to sell product, but not accept returns or even do inventory. For some boxes (like mine) only 1 coach may be working the whole box. A 6 a.m. coach probably has his regulars who buy stuff and who might return stuff at 6 a.m. This is the only time that Athlete would ever come in. From a "good customer service" standpoint I don't want my coach to tell the Athlete that they don't have access to take returns and to come back later, or tell the Athlete that we will do the return when a manager comes in and we will let you know when it's done. For some boxes, if the coach sold it they could take the return and complete the transaction on the spot. But other boxes might not want to grant this access and like the way it's currently configured. Same is true for Inventory. If only 1 coach is working for Open Gym, I might ask them to do Inventory while there is not an Athlete in the Box. Making rules customizable gives the box more control. Keep up the good work, the on-going upgrades have been great. Thanks for listening

• Bronson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well thank you for the education. I could have sworn I tried to do different things using a manager account and most of the stuff on that list I was not able to do. I will go back and mess around with it some more. Thanks for the info.

it would still be very nice to be able to configure my own custom roles.

• Bronson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the Manager role should be able to do more things with memberships. Change terms adjust payments etc,... Unless I am woefully under educated and they already can some how.

If you could take all the available tasks and allow the Admin to create their own role-based profile by assigning whichever tasks they want to a custom role; look at Active Directory user rights assignment, that level of flexibility would be amazing.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base