How can we build better software for you?

Swipe Card Sign In to Class

It would be beneficial to have a external input method such as a barcode reader or biometric reader to allow members to sign in as they walk in and save on time. In a box with 15-25 people in a class it will eat into the WOD time by having everyone line up to sign in. This would just simplify things.

79 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
James Picton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Douglas Perreault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it is. We have multiple classes going on at the same time (weightlifting, on ramp, and regular WOD). How would you know which class the person should be signed in to? Also, what if the person arrives early? A lot of our members arrive early to do auxiliary work -- stretching and such -- or just because it's not worth driving home and back again after work. In my case, sometimes I do weightlifting at 5:30 then the WOD at 7:30. If I come in for weightlifting, am I going to get signed in to the WOD? Does it sign me in to the 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30 classes? Too many possibilities.

I don't really see what the big deal is here, though. Most people sign in using their phones. If they leave the phone in the car or at home they can just sign in to the class they plan to attend before they leave the phone.

• Birkleigh Walters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I would love this feature. I know mind body has It and I'm actually considering switching software systems because I would need this at my gym.
    How difficult would it be to add this and how long would it take?

• Charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about just a simple sign in screen to run on an iPad or computer as you walk in? I think that's what most of the services are using.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the swipe idea because we have a lot of members that do not bring phones to class... is there a way to set up multiple check-in stations via ipad specific to each class? especially when you have two different classes running at the same time. Right now, the function of going back and forth is a little bit slow.

• Joel Pratt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for NFC reader with an NFC-enabled app (most new phones and phones moving forward have this)
    Bluetooth beacon

• Karlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree on the barcode reader. Signing in prior to class is fine for one of our classes but when you have multiple classes happening (different programs e.g. CrossFit and Olympic Lifting) then using just the Coach Board isn't an option for access control.

• Jesse Humphrys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like it Sean, most of our members currently use the app and that would help transition time between classes

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could use NFC for this, already built into most phones. NFC tags are relatively cheap and easy to program. Pass phone over NFC smart tag...bam checked in.

• Frank Foehrenbach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah I think some people would be stoked on not having to remember to bring their card to swipe or remember to swipe it. When is the app coming out? But what about for folks who do not have a smart phone? They still need to sign in by typing their name?

• James Picton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would work, maybe add WiFi recognition. So when they enter a Box that has WiFi (even protected) the app will recognise the location and auto sign in.

• Jesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So long as it doesn't require GPS. GPS smokes the battery. Again, don't think this is a huge problem. It also gives the coach a chance to do a sort of roll call.

• Jesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I don't see this as a problem. We sign-in before hand b/c the classes fill up and you need to reserve a spot.

• Pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only problem with this is that on WODify you need to have the specific class they are signing into open on the screen..So if people come in during the 5:30 class to sign in for the 6:30 class, they'd need to change what is currently open on the web browswer and could mess things up for the coach at that point in time...phones def work best, or during our warm up the coach just goes and signs everyone in.

Feedback and Knowledge Base